Words to live by...

"A good teacher is like a candle - it consumes itself to light the way for others." ~Author Unknown

"A good wife is her husband's biggest fan -- no matter how crazy he is." ~Me


"May God give you.. For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer." ~ Irish Blessing

Thursday, June 21, 2007

'Tis the life...

Ok, so it's nice to be retired. At least for the summer. I realized that this is the first summer that I haven't worked since (probably) 1998ish? Some days I get stuff done, some days I do nothing except eat, sleep, nap, and watch TV. Lately, however, I've earned my delicious food and naps.

I have ridden my bike.

A lot.

Ok, a lot for me.

Here's what the past weekish has looked like riding wise:

*last wednesday -- dog park upper and lower loop at lunch with Chris, Bear Creek with the gang in the evening (18 or 19 decently hard miles total?)

*last thursday -- no riding

*last friday -- evening dark ride from home to dog park, dog park loop, and home (8 easy miles?)

*Saturday -- Winter Park race (9 HARD miles)

*Sunday -- no riding

*Monday -- Two laps of Betasso with Chris (8 or 9 hardish miles?)

*Tuesday -- Three miles in the morning with the pup (super easy but in single speed gear)

*Wednesday -- Ride with the gang at Apex (6 or 7 HARD miles -- ok, so probaby 3 of those were hiking in my bike shoes carrying a 30 pound bike, that counts, right?)

*Today (Thursday) -- just got back from a solo ride to dog park, upper loop, and back (7 medium miles)

So think I've earned my naps. The plan is now to get up and ride in the morning at least 3 days a week. Originally I thought about increasing the frequency of rides, but now I'm thinking of increasing length instead. I need to build some sort of endurance and speed. We'll see how that goes. And, truthfully, if it doesn't sound fun or I have something better to do, I won't do it (although Chris has promised me a special date if I can keep it up for a month). I'm still looking to have fun. But I'm tired of being the slowest person every Wednesday. It can be annoying to be constantly left in the group's dust. Sooooo, I'm going to work on stopping that.

Tomorrow mom and dad are coming over and we are going to revamp our super ugly kitchen. We'll be painting the remaining faux-finish-skin-color-yuck left over from the previous owners as well as re-sanding, re-painting, and re-hardwaring the old yucky cabinets. It will be enough to get us through until we come in to a lot of money and get to do what we want with the kitchen. Anyone want to send us a nice $10,000 check so we can make the kitchen the way we want it? We'll thank you by making you a delicious dinner in it when it's finished :)

4 comments:

Chris said...

Good job. Can I have a nap now?

Marni said...

No way. Your job is to bring home the bacon. No naps for you. :)

ryan young said...

Lovers friendly banter, wonderfull. Marni, we can just call it Ferris Buelers summer off. On a side note I could send this one check, but it appears to have a rubber finish to it.

Anonymous said...

Marni,
Enjoy your time off. You'll be working again soon. Could I use your mom and dad? I am afraid to remove the wallpaper in the dining room so I can paint and get new carpet. I wish I was better at house stuff. I need a helper crew.
:-)
Love,
TMom