Words to live by...

"A good teacher is like a candle - it consumes itself to light the way for others." ~Author Unknown

"A good wife is her husband's biggest fan -- no matter how crazy he is." ~Me


"May God give you.. For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer." ~ Irish Blessing

Thursday, September 06, 2007

"You'd never take a walk with me"

So, first things first. I haven't been to work in two days because I'm still sick. I think I'm slowly getting better, but I still have a hacking cough and can't stand up for more than two minutes without being out of breath and lightheaded. It's amazing how you can go from the peak of your fitness to barely able to walk up the stairs in two short weeks. Good thing I love being a teacher because it sure takes a toll on your mental and physical health -- especially this time of year.

The weather is feeling downright fallish today and it makes me have a serious itch to go ride. Chris is out doing that right now and I'm incredibly envious. A chill road ride with a clear view of the Flatirons, taking in the scenery and fresh air sounds heavenly. Heal, Marni, heal.

To make myself feel better for being at home I've done three things. 1) I did the strenuous task of whipping up some brownies for dessert tonight -- yumm! 2) I did some prep work for some delicious parm/rosemary pork chops for dinner -- double yummmm! 3) Downloaded the latest P!nk CD.

#1 and #2 are very me. #3 is not so much. Let me explain.

Buying a new CD, even through i-tunes, brings me back to the days of being a teenager. I'd get a few extra bucks, go to the Best Buy in the Probe, look at the CD section FOREVER and finally land on the one CD I wanted. I'd play it over and over and over again until about 3 weeks later when it'd land in a pile with the other CDs I used to play over and over and over again. It didn't happen that often, but it made driving anywhere exciting for the next few days knowing you'd get to listen to it.

Now-a-days I download the music, rarely burn it on to a CD, so therefore rarely hear it in my car. But it does make mundane tasks like cleaning or cooking more fun because I can play the music off the computer. Hence the reason I did the brownies and pork chops chores tonight despite feeling pretty crappy. I rarely download CDs -- maybe one every six months -- so when I do, it feels like a guilty pleasure.

Also, P!nk isn't exactly my normal selection. Due to the XM in my car, I've expanded my music tastes. I heard a few P!nk songs I liked, and luckily they are all on the same CD. Hence the purchase. The point of it all is still coming.

I downloaded the CD and heard a new song that I really liked. I tend to stay out of political discussions -- or any discussion that pits core beliefs against core beliefs -- as a personal choice. I don't mind other people having them. I don't really mind listening to them, I'm just not a fan of participating. I don't really have that ability to not take things personally. I think I missed that crucial step in growing up. To me, everything is personal. It's a flaw and a positive characteristic at the same time. It's what makes me a good teacher and a bad teacher. Eeeenyway, if you're not a huge fan of Mr. Bush in Washington, you might enjoy P!nk's "Dear Mr. President" song featuring the Indigo Girls. I may be a little late to the party, but it shows some serious professional, for lack of a better word, balls to be willing to put out a song like that -- it is a tasteful criticism of some things going on. I'll leave it at that.

Ooooh! Brownies are beeping! YUM!

1 comment:

Chris said...

Hope you're feeling better soon. Thanks for the new CD :)