A while back my mom made a training video about the do's and don'ts of conferences -- for teachers. Here is my own rendition -- except this time for parents:
1) Bring treats. Ok, so no one has done this yet but when you've been at work for 11+ hours a cookie would be good.
2) If you feel treats are slightly inappropriate, a nice handshake and 'thank you' will have the same effect. It's amazing how much respect a teacher will gain for you if you actually thank him/her for working with your child.
3) Don't answer your cell phone in the middle of the conference.
4) Don't answer your cell phone in the middle of the conference and start talking for a few minutes.
5) DO NOT reach into your bra to pull out your cell phone to answer it in the middle of the conference.
6) ... and then talk on it.
7) ... and then return it to the bra.
8) ... and then proceed to let it vibrate for the rest of the conference.
9) ... in your bra.
But extremely amused.