Words to live by...

"A good teacher is like a candle - it consumes itself to light the way for others." ~Author Unknown

"A good wife is her husband's biggest fan -- no matter how crazy he is." ~Me


"May God give you.. For every storm a rainbow, for every tear a smile, for every care a promise and a blessing in each trial. For every problem life sends, a faithful friend to share, for every sigh a sweet song and an answer for each prayer." ~ Irish Blessing

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Out with the old...

and in with the, well... hmmm... out with the old.

First off, last night I was told I didn't get the .5 kinder job that I interviewed for. Supposedly they were super impressed though and were going to keep me in mind for future jobs, but they still had to give it to someone already working in the school. Sucks, but I understand. I also know it wasn't the perfect job for me. But I did fall in love with the school itself. Oh well, another day.

Anyway, I have fun pictures to share!

This is when we first bought our house -- take a look at the giant pokey bushes in the front by the for sale sign (I couldn't seem to find a better picture to show than this)

And here is a picture from yesterday -- notice anything ugly and pokey missing?

Pretty exciting! My genius dad came over yesterday, pulled out some serious tools from the back of the car (including some 40ish year old Army tools), and we assaulted the bushes. We still have the stump of one to dig out, and then we'll be finished. My dad is awesome. For being 66 years old, he can sure swing the heck out of an axe. He showed the bushes who was boss and even hauled the remnants of our heavy, old broken statue to the garbage truck. When you are a kid, you think your dad is superman -- capable of superhuman feats of strength and bravery. Luckily for me, I haven't grown out of that phase yet. Thanks for your help dad!

Chris and I haven't quite decided what to replace the ugly bushes with. We are pondering some flowers, or pots of flowers (whichever is easiest to NOT kill), and maybe a small fence to prop the bikes up on. We also plan to get rid of the giant spruce in front of our house one of these days. It will be a slightly larger chore!

Luckily, Chris won a $50 gift certificate to the local garden center from Earth Day at work a while back, so we get to find at least some of our new landscaping for free. For now, we are giggling with joy as we can ride our bikes right out the front door, directly onto the lawn, and out to the street.

This summer seems to be filled with changes. We are getting rid of the 'old' in our lives. Old hobbies, old habits, old ugly paint colors. We are patiently waiting for new. New jobs, new parts, new landscaping, new humans. I'm a patient person but bad at being patient. We're making it though. I'm proud of us.

3 comments:

Becky said...

The house looks fantastic Marni! Way to go Jim! It should be fun figuring out what to populate the front lawn with. :)
Good luck on the job front. Hopefully something comes up soon. If not, Milwaukee public schools ALWAYS need teachers. Unfortunately, no mountaints, no competitive cycling, no skiing, etc, but it'd be close to us.

FixieDave said...

Let me know when you want me to come up with a chainsaw =)

Sorry to hear the interview didn't achive what you wanted.

Scott said...

Bummer on the job Marni, something is going to come around though, I can feel it!